Based on the quick sketch exercise I did with other students in Week 5, I wanted to test animating big distinct shapes and emerging rectangles for the drums, as I feel like they have a big booming sound amonst a buildup rumble.
This was my process:
- Using squiggly lines to show the buildup rumble, and then with explosive angular shapes for the drum hits - felt a bit messy.
- Tried redrawing the squiggly lines with a different brush and opacity, and I think this works better with the concentric circles to represent drum hits
- The rising rectangle that shook was kinda interesting and fits well with the rumble, but I got stuck with how to represent the drum hits
- Tried combining the two and didn't work well.
- Tried playing around with vertical lines only to pay tribute to the rising rectangles. Interesting concept, I didn't mind this, but felt it didn't capture the rumble as well as the squiggling lines.
Again, due to time constraints, I had to settle with an animation that I felt could be more refined. But I still managed to squeeze in a few iterations here.
Stop: Stop rushing the animations, as people can tell.
Start: Maybe play around with the emerging rectangles a bit more if I have time.
Keep: Keep going! Last stretch!