What is Sukuthesia?
Sukuthesia is a piano arcade rhythm game allowing a range of players from 8 to 94023 years old to practice the song they like without having to worry about the music theory behind piano, including music sheets.
This project is a combination of three components:
- A game software
- A physical arcade
- A companion app (work in progress, optional)
In order to make this game possible, aligning the data from a MIDI file displayed on a wide screen and the keys on a piano is mandatory.
What was done prior to this semester?
- Core game mechanic
- UI animations
- Most UI panels
- Gameplay POC
- Arcade shell
- Overall design complete
What did I do during this semester?
- Built the rest of the arcade (sheets on the top of the shell)
- Painted the arcade
- Soldered, a lot..
- Attached the LEDs, created the electronics, etc
- Assembled a computer to run the arcade (setting it up, etc)
- Built the piano keyboard tray
- Added several more menus in the game
- Polished mechanics, bug fixed, etc
- Added the ability to load external data (pendrive & cloud)
- Added the ability to load "raw midi data" from external drive (rather than with the data file generated from the software or editor)
- Created the v0.1 POC of the companion app, currently talking with the Appearition Cloud
- A lot more
So, what does it look like?
In-Editor Video (v0.24): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f01hvfsBKpE
Real-Time Video (v0.23): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRH6J1KPgE8
Companion App POC (v0.1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_fKnJfbTJA
Hidden Menu (v0.24): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcNkWr1AFlM
Lastly, here are the required information for the submission, hidden behind a secret menu which can be triggered by a RFID ring.
Without going into details, I am mostly happy with this project. While it is fantastic and probably by far the best thing I've ever crafted, there's still a long road ahead.
Honestly speaking, I burned out half-way through the semester from overworking myself. While the outcome was ready by then, I feel like I could've accomplished a lot more if I didn't. I need to take a break from this project..
But hey, the game's stable!
Now time to sleep.. Until MAGI Expo.